Sunday, August 12, 2012

For The Next Batch Of International Students

First of all, Welcome to Tyler!

Second, I know exactly how you feel.

The week before and the week of move-in day was very stressful and scary and exciting all at the same time. Especially flying from Dubai to LA to Tyler. I don't know where you'd be flying in from but still, I know how you feel. The rush of knowing everything is new and you have a completely new slate.

Here are a few pointers that I could gather from my experience last year:


- Attend International Student Orientation. It's going to be series of events and all of them are very useful and will help you with settling in.

- Set up an appointment with your Academic Advisor ASAP. Chances are, you haven't really completely been to Tyler before move-in day so this is the first chance you have of meeting an advisor. Do that and sign up for classes as soon as you can.

- Make friends with your roommate (if you have one). This is important if he/she has lived in Texas before because he/she can tell you every detail of what you'll need, where to go to buy school supplies, the best place to go for dinner, Texan slang you may not understand etc. Also, your roommate could be your first ever friend in Texas. Congratulations!

- If you have a driver's license from your country, visit the DPS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. I cannot stress how important this is. If you don't go as soon as you can, they will ask you to take driving lessons. Yes, that's what happened to me. And did I have time to take driving lessons during my first semester in a new land? No, no I didn't. I think you have to go to the DPS within 2 weeks- 30 days of being in Texas. Then maybe the process will be much simpler for you. You're welcome.

- Keep a folder with the following items:
  • Your passport
  • Your I-20
  • Your I-94
  • A map of the campus
  • A map of Tyler
  • Any other paper given to you by immigration/international student advisor
Now keep this folder and consider it the most important papers you own. You will need these papers more often than you think.

- You probably already know Ms. Angela Copeland. But I just want to make sure you do. She is the International Undergraduate Advisor. You will see a lot of her. Also, any questions you have as an international student, she'll have the answers to. You also cannot leave the country without first meeting with her and her signing your I-20!
  • International students are not allowed to work off campus so once you find a work on campus, Ms. Angie will help with getting papers ready for that (Social Security Number, getting the letter from advisor ready etc.)

- Go to university events and get to know people! My first few weeks in Tyler, I was too shy and too homesick to do anything. That didn't do me any good. After I decided to get out and meet other students, everything went uphill for me!


2 comments:

psaikin said...

This is a really good list but I do have one suggestion. Along with the folder you keep everything also make a copy of your passport to keep on your person at all times. That way there is no fear of loosing your original and it is good enough for law enforcement officials.

a. katrina said...

That is so true and very helpful. Thanks Patrick!

Post a Comment